New Information Goldmines!
Have you always wanted to build your family tree? Do you need to consult the ultimate authority on the English language? Do you want one-stop shopping for career research?
The Library has seven new online databases tailored to fit the needs of local residents. These services are in addition to popular resources such as Consumer Reports and LexisNexis (funded by the law firm Berchem, Moses and Devlin for Westport residents).
- INVESTORS can make informed investing decisions on stocks, mutual funds and Exchange Traded Funds using Morningstar Investment Research Center. The renowned provider of independent investment research presents comprehensive financial information and analysts’ opinions and offers features that allow you to determine what your asset mix should be and how your investments are working together.
- BUSINESS PEOPLE and JOBSEEKERS are using Plunkett Research to learn about the most important trends and technologies creating change within more than 20 industries. Market research provides statistics, forecasts, growth plans, leading companies and more.
- JOBSEEKERS and CAREER PLANNERS find career guidance with Career Cruising. It includes a comprehensive career guide where you can use self assessment tools to explore various job possibilities, learn about education and training requirements, salary ranges, detailed profiles about careers, and other helpful tips.
- WESTPORTERS now have an easy way to find material from current and past issues of Westport News. The online database version includes articles on local news, issues, events, people, editorials, sports and more.
- GENEALOGY SEARCHERS can now use Ancestry.com through the library website. This premiere genealogical tool contains a massive amount of data from census and voter lists; birth, marriage and death records; and military, immigration and travel records.
- WORDSMITHS learn all about more than 600,000 English words in the definitive Oxford English Dictionary. It is an unsurpassed guide to the meanings, history and pronunciation of words, past and present, from across the English-speaking world.
- SCIENCE BUFFS can satisfy their curiosity with AccessScience. This online version of the McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Science & Technology offers authoritative articles and 15,000 illustrations and graphics in all major areas of science and technology.